How to Find the Most Capable Countertop Contractors?
One of the secrets to the installation of functional and beautiful countertops is by choosing a highly-qualified countertop contractor with the following attributes:
- Skills in craftsmanship
- Eye for Detail
- Extensive experience
- Familiarity with the proper materials
- Uses modern and appropriate tools
Homeowners should make sure the contractor gets a high mark for each of the above-mentioned qualities.
Countertops are built last in a kitchen renovation. Thus, the cabinets should have been installed even before the contractor presents a template.
Here are the particulars of countertop installation that your chosen contractor needs to be knowledgeable of:
- The height of countertops – The elevation depends on the customer. However, standard height is from 36 to 39 inches above the ground. The maximum may be more comfortable especially if there are tall family members. It is advisable to use materials with different width or thickness. This is common for ordinary cupboards and countertops.
- Countertop foundation – Expert contractors know where support or braces for contractors must be built. Proper reinforcement ensures stability and eliminates the possibility of food preparation structures collapsing. A smart contractor will mount wood flush at the top of flanking cabinets. For example, the slide-in range should have a 2-inch strip of a long and flat fixture at the back of the cooking façade. A frequent problem area is an area where the countertop stops at the dishwashing equipment. The dishwasher does not have the capacity to provide full support for the countertop. There should be frames on both sides which must be at least ¾ inch (filling panel).
- Overall, finding the right contractor for the job is not easy. Your primary consideration is the quality of work. This will determine how this fixture will appear and become absolutely functional. Remember the kitchen countertop is the focal point of the whole room. Of course, the last thing you will want to happen is a below-par installation that will make the kitchen look shabby and lacking in balance.
It is crucial to get recommendations from persons close to you who know licensed and trustworthy contractors. Aside from next of kin and friends, you can seek advice from suppliers of construction materials such as home improvement retail outlets. Interview different contractors about how long they have been crafting and installing countertops; the period of completing production; and, familiarity with countertop designs.
Create a short list and ask for formal quotes from each one. Experts usually conduct ocular inspections to see how the kitchen looks and where to fit in the countertops. They will do this prior to submitting proposals and estimates. It’s good to follow your intuition as to the contractor who can do a great job.
Selectedly recommends that homeowners must interview three companies before hiring the right one.
Never compromise quality and experience. However, there is nothing wrong to consider the price as well. Here’s the catch, it is always good to negotiate and arrive at middle ground. You can both settle on a cost that will be fair to both parties. Once it is done, you can now formalize the agreement.